Last Wednesday, Kennedy scion, Joseph P. Kennedy III announced his bid for the Congressional seat Barney Frank will be vacating later this year.
Here are Kennedy’s stated qualifications for the office he seeks:
- Served as an Assistant District Attorney for Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Served as an Assistant District Attorney for the counties of Barnstable, Dukes and Nantucket
- Served as a member of the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau “serving some of Boston’s most impoverished neighborhoods”
- “He helped design and teach a curriculum in which students used photography to discuss the challenges of crime, drugs, and poverty facing their neighborhoods“
- He served in the Peace Corps in the Dominican Republic from 2004-2006
- He went to Harvard Law School and has a Management Science and Engineering degree from Stanford University
Here are Kennedy’s “relevant” qualifications:
- His grandfather is Robert F. Kennedy
- His father was a U.S. Congressman
- His great-uncle is Senator Ted “Chappaquiddick” Kennedy
- His other great-uncle is President John F. Kennedy
- He has special privileges that few Americans enjoy and that he has not earned like getting access to a special event with the Prime Minister of Ireland
For those who follow this site, there are few things I despise more than nepotism. If his name were Joe Doe, some high Democratic Party functionary would be ten places before him in line to run for this seat.
But he’s a Kennedy, and Kennedys are better than everyone else, because, well, they’re Kennedys.
I personally hope this entitled, spoiled brat gets his rear-end handed to him in the election. In fact, it just so happens I personally know the gentlemen who will hopefully be handing it to him.
Sean Bielat was a classmate of mine at the Kennedy School of Government (note the irony), and is also a good friend. Unlike Kennedy, he has actually run multiple organizations in the Marine Corps and as an executive at the iRobot Corporation. He has an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, a Master in Public Policy from Harvard, and a BA from Georgetown University. He also had in 2010 the best showing for any Republican challenger to Barney Frank in nearly thirty years.
Oh, and his accomplishments were entirely his own, and not built on those of his daddy, granddaddy or great uncles. Here is a clip of Sean from the 2010 election:
To me, Joseph P. Kennedy III is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with America. He is the spoiled scion of a wealthy family that built its fortune on illegal bootlegging. He presumes to tell the lowly proles prostrating themselves before him that he will lead them out of darkness and misery, when he’s never had to worry about paying for basic necessities. There have been too many people with backgrounds like his running our government (and yes, liberals reading this column will be right when they throw George W. Bush in this category), and it is time for a change.