“Everything that [GOP presidential candidate] Mitt Romney said we should be doing–tough sanctions, covert action and pressuring the international community — are all of the things we are actually doing.”
In recent months there have been a flurry of reports about mysterious explosions and incidents at or around Iran’s nuclear infrastructure.
Here are a number of peculiar incidents that occurred over the past few months:
- January 2010: Iranian nuclear scientist killed by the explosion of a motorcycle fitted with a bomb
- November 29, 2010: Iranian nuclear expert Majid Shahriari killed by an explosive charge placed in his car; Nuclear scientist, Fereydoun Abbasi survived a similar attack on the same day
- May 16, 2011: Iranian-led assassination of Saudi diplomat in Pakistan
- August 12, 2011: Explosion of a gas pipeline running from Iran to Turkey disrupts Iranian gas exports
- October, 2011: FBI uncovered an Iranian plot to use explosives in a Washington, D.C. restaurants to assassinate the Saudi ambassador
- November 12, 2011: Huge explosion leveled buildings at an Iranian military base 30 miles west of Tehran killing 17 government officials, including a founder of Iran’s ballistic missile program
- November 17, 2011: IAEA passed a resolution expressing “deep and increasing concern” over Iran’s nuclear activities
- November 24, 2011: Iran claimed to have arrested 12 CIA spies in a spy ring within Hizbullah
- November 28, 2011: Explosion near Iran’s Isfahan uranium conversion facility; Several hours later, Hizbullah launched four 122-mm Katyusha rockets into Israel from southern Lebanon
- November 29, 2011: Iranian protestors stormed the British embassy in Tehran
- December 1, 2011: European Union tightened sanctions on Iran and discussed potential plans for a possible oil embargo; U.S. Senate passed a unanimous bill to give the president the power starting July 1 to bar foreign financial institutions that do business with Iran; Italy and several other EU governments recalled their ambassadors from Iran
- December 2, 2011: Britain expelled Iranian diplomats from the country
- December 4, 2011: Iran claimed to have shot down a U.S. drone
David Sanger of The New York Times also has an excellent analysis of the situation here. The evidence seems to suggest that a covert war between the West (including Israel) and Iran is well underway.
God help us.